Sunday 29 July 2012

L'Oreal Super Liner Gel Intenza - Our rocky relationship






Lovely creamy jet black liner...

Mmmm lovely liner on the move...to the top of my eyelid! 
I had my heart set on getting myself the Bobbi Brown gel liner but I had to accept the fact that I had seriously insufficient funds so I'd have to settle for something from the high street.  Admittedly, I'd say that L'Oreal is at the top end of the high street but £6.99 seemed a lot more palatable than £16.50 for the Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner from Bobbi Brown, and the L'Oreal one came with a brush so that was me sold!! Plus, I trust L'Oreal, I have always favoured their mascaras even over Benefit and I use their sponged pen like liner Super Liner Carbon Gloss every single day.  So I thought I was laughing, how could this possibly go wrong?!  

I'll tell you how it could go wrong... you put your make up on in the morning and you think 'I'm meeting the girls for coffee I'll try my new gel liner to look extra pretty for my friends' and so you put it on, and it glides beautifully and although I think it's harder to get a thin line with the brush I was happy because I didn't mind a more dramatic look. After I'd put my mascara on I noticed some liner above my crease and I thought I had just blinked while it was still wet or done some other clumsy stupid thing which would be totally normal for me, so I used a cotton bud and it was gone (thankfully I wasn't wearing eyeshadow so no harm was done). I left the house, did a few errands and then met the girls in Costa for a catch up.  After a couple of hours of chattering the hot chocolate had caught up with me so nipped to the loo and as I was washing my hands I caught sight of myself.  I looked like a clown. That is all there is to say about the matter, actually I looked as if I had done my make up sans mirror and had no idea that my eye lashes were indeed a good centimeter lower down!! I was a bit embarrassed that nobody had told me I looked so ridiculous, and that I'd been walking around like this for God only knows how long but I got rid of the offending extra line of liner and got on with my day.  It did however put me off the liner for a good few weeks and it was only yesterday that I tried it out again, hoping what had happened before had been a horrible mistake.  Alas, it would appear that this gel liner simply does not dry and therefore cannot be worn by someone like me with a bit of a naturally hooded eye (I hate the term hooded eye - yuck), as yet again it constantly transfered and yesterday I had done nice eye shadow so it totally cocked that up and to be honest really bothered me!! 

*Update*

I successfully wore this gel liner for a night out over Easter weekend, and as far as I'm aware I didn't suffer any smudging, maybe it was because I did a thinner line? I don't know? 

I've been persevering with this liner because I want to love it, and I do really like the application, and the finished look, but I am still struggling with this transfer onto my eyelid which really isn't cool.  Like you wouldn't want to go to work, or on a date, or even out in public and end up looking like you're such a fan of eyeliner you felt the need to have two lines of it, because trust me, like this, is not a good look!


6 comments:

  1. Hi Alice, I feel your pain on this one ... I bought the Bobbi Brown eye liner gel and the same thing happens to me (except that I have one "hooded" eye so I end up looking lop-sided!). Please let us know if you find any alternatives - I'll be sticking with my pencil for now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so annoying isn't it!! What on earth did we do to deserve this?! Megan has suggested using black eyeshadow over the top so I will give this a whirl - but I really hope I can find an alternative! Likewise let me know if you find anything that works!

      x

      Delete
  2. I would try putting a tiny amount of black eyeshadow over to try and set it, see if that works any better!
    x
    http://out-of-liner.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this tip, I'll give it a try next time!! Fingers crossed!
      x

      Delete
  3. I hate when that happens! If you give up on the L'Oreal gel line Maybelline do a brilliant one which i've replaced my Bobbi Brown with because I think its better! Perhaps using an eyeprimer would keep it in place for longer if you don't want to buy another one? e.l.f do a really cheap one in their mineral line that's pretty good :) Great post!

    ceperepulchra.blogspot.com xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I've heard good things about the Maybelline one, maybe that can solve my gel liner woes!! I don't know if I've tried it with a primer - I'll give that a shot next time I use it, and thankfully I have a primer but thank you very much for the suggestion! x

      Delete